libc-maintainers

Re: Emacs and glibc malloc API change

From: Carlos O'Donell
Subject: Re: Emacs and glibc malloc API change
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 10:23:03 -0500

On 01/22/2016 12:21 AM, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Richard Stallman wrote:
>> I'm asking all of you, the maintainers of GNU libc, to ask the
>> community whether this change would cause a problem.
>>
>> One way to find out would be to release a patched alpha release and
>> enlist the help of those who package it for Debian and Red Hat to
>> help the community try their programs.
>
> Yes, I expect that something like this will happen. It's too soon to
> start this, though, as the glibc changes have not been written.

We will absolutely do this kind of outreach and more. I can guarantee
it as the glibc team lead for Red Hat.

One of the benefits of moving to a more transparent and consensus-based
development process is that we've begun to engage the downstream
distributions in the development effort. We have close contacts with
all the major distributions now and the ability to test experimental
changes quickly. This is something we've never had in the past, but is
now bearing fruit (broader and wider testing with better downstream input).

Cheers,
Carlos.