libc-maintainers

Re: Emacs and glibc malloc API change

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs and glibc malloc API change
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 22:23:44 -0500

  > > Also, can you please tell me what you've done to talk with the broader
  > > community about this?  Do we know that Emacs is the only program which
  > > has a problem?

  > I have not made any special effort recently to talk to the broader
community
  > about the problem.

I meant "you", plural.  I'm asking all of you, the maintainers of GNU libc,
to ask the community whether this change would cause a problem.

One way to find out would be to release a patched alpha release
and enlist the help of those who package it for Debian and Red Hat
to help the community try their programs.  The community will be much
happier with this if you conspicuously cooperate with them.

If you find out that there are no problems, that won't "change
anything" technically, but the whole community will feel better about
you and the GNU Project because they were treated with respect.

--
Dr Richard Stallman