Re: DogCows or Polymorphism in the Hurd

From: Tom Bachmann
Subject: Re: DogCows or Polymorphism in the Hurd
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 11:29:00 +0100

Filip Brcic wrote:
Someone already came up with this idea. It is actually quite nice, but
the problem is that POSIX only specifies one reserved character, '/',
and thus foo.tar.bz2:as_dir is a valid name. So such a file could exist.

Well, it could exist, but it probably will not. If it does exist, the system can decide to use foo.tar.bz2:as_dir1, foo.tar.bz2:as_dir2, ... until it finds the name that doesn't exist.

But this is not obvious to the user.

I would like to see foo.tar.bz2 as a simple file when I do ls. And if I do cd foo.tar.bz2, then I would like to see it as directory. If that cannot be achieved, then it is IMHO better left as file.

You hurdish cd will probably manage to retrieve the directory facet (but this becomes relatively much if you allow this on the complete path, not just the last part of it), so this probably works. Still, the question is how legacy apps can be incorporated.

I can always do mkdir foo ; settrans -ca foo /hurd/tarfs foo.tar.bz2 or something like that, to read the archive.

That is explicit binding, as proposed (though you do it the other way around).
--
-ness-