Re: DogCows or Polymorphism in the Hurd

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: DogCows or Polymorphism in the Hurd
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 04:43:23 -0500

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 10:24 +0100, Bas Wijnen wrote:

> I would consider a setting "open under name 's/(.*)\.tar\.gz/\1/'" in some
> config file of the graphical shell.

Oh wonderful. 15 billion more things that won't get tested and make
customer support absolutely impossible because the support agent cannot
figure out what the hell the application is doing.

When did we abandon the design principle that a system should be usable
by mere mortals? Are we trying to have impact on the world, or are we
merely engaged in a grand act of intellectual masturbation?

I'm not really reacting to Bas here at all. He just happened to give the
nth example of this architectural elitism sickness and I finally could
not leave it alone anymore.

shap