Re: Getting Started with Hurd-L4

From: Sam Mason
Subject: Re: Getting Started with Hurd-L4
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:07:53 +0100

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>Neal will have to clarify this (see the other thread I started
>yesterday, where I pose a similar question in my reply that I just
>sent).

I've been trying to ignore it for the time being - there's been
enough information in this thread to keep my little head quite
full enough for now!

>The easy: If you over-commit (have more frames than guaranteed), the
>remaining frames are "extra" and physmem might ask them back at any
>time (you can't even swap them out).  _Which_ of your frames are
>extra, and which are guaranteed, is up to you.

Yup, that's definitely the easy part!

>The hard one: How to negotiate the number of guaranteed frames per
>task?  Ie, how to distribute the available physical memory fairly and
>squarely in a living system with changing number of users and tasks?
>This is the thing that's still in the dark for me.

That's really the situation I was alluring to.  I guess I'll need
to read up on your other posts before I can make a sensible response!

  Sam