koha-zebra

[Koha-zebra] Re: Unimarc, marc21, Unicode, and MARC::File::XML

From: Tümer Garip
Subject: [Koha-zebra] Re: Unimarc, marc21, Unicode, and MARC::File::XML
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:43:30 +0200

Hi,

This problem if I understood it correctly has got nothing to do with
mysql or perl it has to do with ZEBRA unless it is to do with UNIMARC
which I am not familiar with.
As you know (Paul) I have an utf-8 version working.

I had the same problem from records coming from zebra and found out that
it is not doing what it is supposed to do unless you explicitly set it
to utf-8. You have to explicitly put "encoding utf-8" in all your zebra
config files especially the zebra.cfg and your .abs . Otherwise unlike
the documentation saying that zebra character code is automatically set
by the xml encoding it DOES NOT.

Perl send xml to zebra with encoding utf-8 on the header and utf-8 data
in it. Zebra saves all the data in utf-8 but returns an xml saying
encoding iso8859-1 at the header and utf-8 characters in data. No module
can correct this as it is stupid.

I corrected the problem by adding encoding:UTF-8 in zebra.cfg,
record.abs, sort-string.chr

Hope it solves yours,

Tumer