koha-translate

Re: [Koha-translate] Some more questions concerning translation strings

From: Joshua Ferraro
Subject: Re: [Koha-translate] Some more questions concerning translation strings
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 10:18:25 -0500

On 1/19/08, Axel Bojer <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello again, and thank for your good answers!
>

> 1) Just to be sure; what is inside the <b>-tag should be left in English
> because it is a command, I guess?
>
>         <b>marcflavour --</b> Your MARC flavor (MARC21 or UNIMARC). This
>         choice tells Koha how to interpret your MARC records.

Yep

> 2) In example below, I suppose the -- should replace a &mdash; and thus
> be a perfectly normal sentence (and not any kind of strange graphic
> replacement to divide sentences on the screen, right)? But what is, then
> with the - right after the number?
> And why not use &mdash;? (A proper long dash might get lost in some
> characters encodings I guess, and would therefore not be advisable ...)
>
>         15- Heading use--subject added entry
>
> (There are more such strings.)
This is another opportunity for cleanup ... I will put it on my list for the 3.0
beta.

> 3) What does the exclamation marks mean in strings like this:
>
> 7 => !OPAC Intranet !Editor Collapsed
>
> Of course I could just leave them all before the corresponding words,
> but I think the best translation might be to join Opac Intranet into
> "Publikumskatalogen" in Norwegian, and then two of the, in English,
> unique strings would then be just the same in Norwegian. So, what are
> they for?
It is intended to show the visibility in various locations '!' means
'not visible in'.

> 4) I do not understand these strings:
>         Aitoff
> (found it in Wikipedia as Aitoff projection, is that the right meaning:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aitoff_projection ?)
>         Albers
> (does also this mean a projection type:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albers_projection ?)
>         Aluminographie = ?
>         625 PAL and 625 SECAM, is this about televisions?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pal
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SECAM
>         ATS -- Wikipedia lists many possible explanations, which is it?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATS
>         CCF -- Which one? :-)
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CCF
>         Caseine (french) -- About cheese too? Or am I wrong? (confused)
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casein
>         Chorochromatique = ? (something about colours apparently ...)
>         Choroplethe = Choropleth map, perhaps?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choropleth_map
>         Comtd = ? (fransk?)
Sorry, can't help you there ... looks like some French perhaps in some cases?

Cheers,

address@hidden |Full Demos at http://liblime.com/koha |1(888)KohaILS