koha-devel

[Koha-devel] New Koha Languages Module

From: Joshua M. Ferraro
Subject: [Koha-devel] New Koha Languages Module
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 11:05:53 -0600 (CST)

Hi gang,

On IRC today, hdl, paul and I discussed how we represent lists
of languages in Koha. At the moment we have three places where lists
are represented, and all three use a different method of obtaining
the list:

1. language switcher for OPAC and Intranet, and directory names
for the language options (use two letter codes based on the
ISO 639-1 standard ).

2. search interface (limiting by langauge like on:
http://search.athenscounty.lib.oh.us/search?expanded_options=1
( use three letter codes based on ISO 639-2, language names in
the language's script, and English langauge names all hardcoded
in Koha.pm).

3. hdl's new web installer, where the librarian picks her language
as a step in the install process (uses two letter codes based
on ISO 639-1, hardcoded).

There are other places where lists of langauges will need to be
represented shortly (on that I can think of off the top of my
head is the new translation site that is currently in beta).

I'd like to propose that we create a new Language.pm module for
managing the list of languages with the aim to provide the
following elements for every list of langauges:

1. two or three letter codes for the language based on ISO 639-2,
which is maintained by the LOC and is inclusive of ISO 639-1:
http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/
http://www.loc.gov/marc/languages/

2. the language name in the script of the language. So for instance,
中文  for Chinese, Français for French, etc.

3. the langauge name in the language of the user, based on the
template language choice ( so that if you are logged in as a
French speaker, you'd see Perse (French spelling), not Persian
(English spelling).

To acomplish this, I propose we create a Language.pm module in
Koha that provides a set of functions for finding lists in
various contexts. We could utilize the existing lists around
ISO-630-2 to create the initial list, perhaps stored as a flat
file, or in SQL ... and we will need to create a new language_list.tmpl
file to store language name translations (at least some of which
can probably be automated using available translations).

So, ideas, questions?

Cheers,

address@hidden |Full Demos at http://liblime.com/koha |1(888)KohaILS