koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Theme Structure 3.0

From: Dorian Meid
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Theme Structure 3.0
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 23:00:44 +0200

Am 01.08.2006 um 00:10 schrieb MJ Ray:

Our current template structure is something like:
  SITE/htdocs/SITE-tmpl/THEME/LANG/OBJECT
where
  SITE   = { intranet, opac }
  THEME  = { default, npl, vanilla, ... }
  LANG   = { <empty>, en, es, fr, pl, zh-TW, ... }
  OBJECT = { <empty>, includes, LANG=en?images }

It's probably not ideal to have all of these in htdocs, as some
aren't really for direct download.  Languages and images are
also subordinate to themes, which has some side-effects.
The plan, when I developed the THEME/LANG/OBJECT directory was that it should be completely outside of the htdocs and then the relevant objects should be linked into the webspace.

But it's long time ago and i'm not really up to date with the koha-code.

I suggest splitting includes, languages and templates so
we get something like:
  templates/TYPE/THING/SCOPE
where
  TYPE  = { htdocs, l10n, tmpl }
  THING = { images, includes, LANG, default, npl, vanilla, ... }
  SCOPE = { default, intranet, opac, ... (may grow if needed) }
and language, style and theme are set independently in koha.
koha then looks at templates/l10n/LANG:templates/tmpl/THEME
:templates/tmpl/THEME/LANG for its files, which may include
things from templates/htdocs served by the httpd.
I don't understand what you mean with the colons between the paths

Could it be that your THING directory level mixes things which should be on different levels? In my opinion there are e.g. images and includes which are specific to a language.
So all language specific things should be below the language directory.

Next I introduced a "all" directory which unfortunately wasn't used so much. The idea was to have a directory named "all" on every level which helds all the objects common to all the other objects on the same level. E.g. you can have default/en/images/submit.gif which could be a button for a theme/lang combination, but you could also use default/ all/images/1.gif which could be a image equal for all languages of that theme.

Then the scope. Why splitting more and more. Why not doing a move frome scope to theme. So we could have a default-librarian theme (i don't like the name intranet) and a default-opac theme. The backend then should be the same and the opac-themes or other reduced themes just don't use the whole functionality.

I admit in having a nicer solution in splitting things which should be served and things outside the webspace. The quest is to have them together for maintenence and distribution and to have them separated on the server.

This will let koha themes, styles and translations be maintained
and used independently.
You can do this at tis time with the existing structure.

Dorian Meid