koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] [IMPORTANT] some time to spend on Koha 3 : what to do n

From: Joshua Ferraro
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] [IMPORTANT] some time to spend on Koha 3 : what to do next ? + SAN goals
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 07:20:18 -0700

Hi Paul,

On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 12:53:58PM +0200, Paul POULAIN wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> I'll have some time to spend on Koha 3 at the beginning of august. What
> could be usefull according to you ?
>
> (knowing that Antoine still works on code cleaning : he works on
> acquisition module ATM)
>
> I thought testing & debugging & unimarc'ing on dev_week could be
> interesting.
> I would also be interested by synch'ing dev_week & head, depending on
> the stability of dev_week.
Both of those sound good to me. Just to clarify the status of dev_week,

  * The API is identical to rel_2_2 except that the Search API has changed.

  * There are some new functions to search and save records in zebra

  * This means that on the whole, dev-week is quite stable, having rel_2_2
    as the basis, the new search and record management functions could use
    additional testing and work.

  * There is also a minimal wrapper for the old search API that could use some
    improvements (ie, it is a bare minimum that  only does a keyword search
    for everything).

  * I plan to continue working on dev_week until it's ready for production,
    at which point I will release 2.4.

  * due to time and budget constraints I'm only able to work with what
    my customer's need: MARC21 + NPL tempaltes, but I would be happy to
    see other flavours and templates supported.

In the meantime, it would be very interesting to sync dev_week with HEAD,
though when we do that we need to look carefully at the changes to the API
that already exist in HEAD -- a task beyond my resources right now.

> SAN goals :
> -----------
> In september, SAN want to start working on testing & teaching
> librarians. The goal being to start working in production in January, 1st
> I told them I will make all my best to have something working in
> september, at least beta stage.
> They need zebra (dev_week)+ all what btoumi & alaurin worked on, (head)
> thus the merge of dev_week & head is something urgent for them.
>
> PS : dont tell me their goal is impossible to reach, they would be very
> unhappy with this. I told them it will be hot/hard, but not impossible.
I think it's definitely possible to do this.

> Maybe it's time for an irc meeting (next monday ? it's OK for me)
Sounds good, I'll post a separate email about the meeting.

Cheers,

address@hidden |Full Demos at http://liblime.com/koha |1(888)KohaILS