koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] switching from marc_words to zebra [LONG]

From: Paul POULAIN
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] switching from marc_words to zebra [LONG]
Date: Mon Jul 18 07:40:02 2005

Thomas D a écrit :
Curiously MARC21 and its predecessors seem to have left this

out of the

format. Only the thesaurus is given in the MARC21 record.

The method of

matching a thesaurus control number is left to the system

implementation. That's exactly what we do in Koha, as we use the $9 (system implementation ;-) )
This lack makes hard to exchange biblio between libraries.
Why would you need to use $9 in UNIMARC when you have $3 in the UNIMARC
specification?
(back from vacations)

For 2 reasons :
- because $3 is unimarc-specific & we want to be marc-flavour independant
- if we want to use $3 only, then we have to use either an internally number or an external one, depending on wether we use a local authority entry or a public one (like Rameau thesaurus, for example, where $3 is FRBN045646897987...) that's more complex to developp ( & the less i do the better i feel, shame on me ;-) )

--
Paul POULAIN