koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] switching from marc_words to zebra [LONG]

From: Paul POULAIN
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] switching from marc_words to zebra [LONG]
Date: Tue Jul 5 01:27:07 2005

Thomas D a écrit :
* marc_biblio, is a table that contains only a few
informations :
- biblionumber (biblio PK)
- bibid (marc PK. It's a design mistake I made, for sure)
What was the design mistake here?

bibid is useless, biblionumber could have been used.
In other words : for 1 bibid there is 1 and only 1 biblionumber. For 1 biblionumber there is 1 and only 1 bibid. So, bibid <=> biblionumber

It should really not be a pain to move to zebra with this
structure : every call with a MARC::Record (NEWxxxxyyyy subs) manages the storing of the MARC::Record in marc_* tables. We could replace this code with a zebra insert/update, using biblio.biblionumber as primary key.
How to manage biblios and items ? My idea here would be to
store biblio + all items informations in zebra, using a full MARC::Record, that contains biblio and items.

For MARC21, would you use the 852 holdings location and other fields in MARC
bibliographic?  MARC21 has a MARC holdings format as a separate record type
from MARC bibliographic, http://www.loc.gov/marc/holdings/echdhome.html . UNIMARC now also has a UNIMARC holdings format as a separate record type,
http://www.ifla.org/VI/8/projects/UNIMARC-HoldingsFormat04.pdf .  I would
certainly advocate moving towards full use of the available formats but
perhaps one should approach the question by degrees to preserve development
resources.

In UNIMARC, there is also what we called "recommandation 995" (http://www.adbdp.asso.fr/outils/infogestion/r995.htm, in french). I know no ILS using HoldingsFormat04.pdf description. All uses "reco 995", that simpler by far.

Curiously MARC21 and its predecessors seem to have left this out of the
format.  Only the thesaurus is given in the MARC21 record.  The method of
matching a thesaurus control number is left to the system implementation.

That's exactly what we do in Koha, as we use the $9 (system implementation ;-) )
This lack makes hard to exchange biblio between libraries.

--
Paul POULAIN