koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] feature list for Koha 2.4/3.0 (hdl & paul coding planni

From: Joshua Ferraro
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] feature list for Koha 2.4/3.0 (hdl & paul coding planning)
Date: Mon Jul 11 08:32:17 2005

on part *1- Improved multi-branch support*.

I think the goal is to have an arbitrary tree for branch
relationships to allow for maximum flexibility. Based on my
converstations with Mike Rylander (db designer for PINES
Evergreen) and talks I've had with some larger library
consortiums lately here's what I'd like to see.

First, there should be a way to define 'valid' organizational units
and levels and parents for each unit. So for example, say you had
'constortium','system','branch','bookmobile'. For searching,
you'd want to be able to specify 'branch' and 'level' ... so a
search on a specific branch on the 'system' level would return
results from all the branches in a given system, etc. Or you
may want to restrict your search to a given branch or do a
search on the entire consortium ... 'parent' is needed for
what follows.

It would also be nice to be able to fine-tune the parameters
for each level in the tree. So if we could have 'sets' of
parameters rather than just one parameters page for the whole
system then it would really open up the possibilities for
customizing each branch's configuration. For instance, maybe
you'd want to use a different template for a system in your
consortium. Maybe the loan periods or fines at one system or
one branch of the system are different than other places. So
the idea would be to be able to create arbitrary 'sets' of
parameters with names and then to apply them at each level of
the tree ... but still allow for any individual unit in the
tree to define which parameter to use.

I hope that makes some sense.  Any reactions?

--
Joshua Ferraro               VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
LibLime                  Koha ILS, Mambo Intranet, DiscrimiNet Filter