k-mib-ppc

[K-mib-ppc] pre 10 testing on iMac

From: Hard Mac
Subject: [K-mib-ppc] pre 10 testing on iMac
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 21:09:11 -0500

Hi Yves,

Here's some info from a user over at Knoppix.net forums that I thought you
might be interested in.

I haven't had much time to try the last tests that we wrote about with pre10
but should be able to do them soon.

Cheers,
Thomas

---
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=35487#35487

Using Knoppix-MiB-ppc pre10:

I got X to come up on my 350mhz iMac (I believe it's a Blueberry, probably the
educational bottom-end model at the time.) Boots fine, autodetection seems to
work fine, but startx fails with a line like:
" no device at PCI:0:16:0"

Doing a search, this seems like a common problem with the ATi Rage128.

I had to edit the XF86Config-4 file Device section to get X to appear.
The section ends with:

BusID ="PCI:"

I changed it to

BusID ="PCI:0:16:0"
ChipID = 0x524c

(0x524c being the chip ID reported by Apple System Profiler.) After this,
startx brings up the X background and the "no xsession" error, which I believe
is the correct behavior for this small (157M) version?

Would this indicate some kind of error writing the XF86Config file during
autodetection? The console prints quite a few messages during boot explicitly
identifying the graphics chip, so Knoppix-MiB-PPC must be getting that part
right.

Hope this helps. Thank you and waiting for pre11!

Pete Giovagnoli

Check out the new EudoraMail at
http://www.eudoramail.com