k-mib-ppc

Re: [K-mib-ppc] knoppix for powerbook g4?

From: Yves Combe
Subject: Re: [K-mib-ppc] knoppix for powerbook g4?
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 14:11:57 +0100

Glen Ogilvie a écrit :
Hi

I have been trying to get Knoppix working on my powerbook G4, one of the new aluminum ones. With little sucess.

I got k-mib-ppc-beta-pre9.iso booted, but that is an unfinished product and does not yet have anything like what knoppix does.. so I have been trying knoppix-MiB-PPC-alpha-2e.iso It refuses to be seen by holding down option on boot, however, from Open Firmware, can boot yaboot with boot cd:\\yaboot

then, yaboot fails to load any kernel.. so with manual override,

/address@hidden/address@hidden/address@hidden/address@hidden:0,/boot/linux.bin
root=/dev/hdc

it starts booting, however, dies telling me that it can't find any init entry for root.. I have tried /address@hidden/address@hidden/address@hidden/address@hidden:0,/boot/linux.bin root=/dev/hdc init=/etc/init

and that does not help..  any ideas?
You forgot the initrd?

Anyway i am pretty sure the alpha2e won't work on your machine. kernel, and Xfree are probably to old.

Work in progress is a beta version, wich for the moment is --as you said-- unfinished.
You can help doing some tests with k-mib-ppc-beta-pre10, the last one.
- test if boot is ok. You will normaly go in a shell. run "startx". You will have a working X with error message about xsession.
If that failed i need the error messages.

also, when is k-mib-ppc going to have the full set of apps, or is it even being worked on?
Well, the hardware detection works not so bad, at least for X. I will do again probably one or two small iso to test it, before putting applications in it. The Wifi configuration will probably come after.

Regards,

--
Yves Combe
Formateur TICE