jessie-discuss

[Jessie-discuss] FYI: Diffie Hellman parameters

From: Casey Marshall
Subject: [Jessie-discuss] FYI: Diffie Hellman parameters
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 20:47:32 -0700

I've noticed that the default Diffie Hellman parameters -- "group 18" -- take a very long time to create session keys, even when run compiled with GCJ. This causes Firefox to time out (Mozilla browsers use DH key exchanges before RSA ones, it seems). These parameters are very large, so it is probably one of:

  - A really slow random number generator.
  - A really slow BigInteger implementation.

that's causing this problem (I'm pretty sure Classpath has both of these). The solution is to specify a different group with the "jessie.key.dh.group" security property, e.g.:

  Security.setProperty ("jessie.key.dh.group", "5");

This comes at a cost of security margin (smaller numbers use smaller primes), but for most applications, group 5 is probably good enough.

I'm going to change the default group to something smaller; group 5 looks good to me, a key exchange takes about 3sec with GCJ BC- compiled GNU Crypto and Jessie.