Re: .gnus init file

From: Sivaram Neelakantan
Subject: Re: .gnus init file
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2015 07:35:49 +0530

On Tue, Feb 03 2015,B. T. Raven wrote:

> <mailman.19148.1422850086.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>Sivaram
> Neelakantan Mon,
> 02 Feb 2015 09:37:54 +0530
>>
>>On Sun, Feb 01 2015,btraven  wrote:

[snipped 104 lines]

> Thanks, Sivaram. I have installed files you suggested above and added lines to
> .gnus, restarted emacs, and now gnus is much slower (long wait on black
> hourglass within Emacs. dynamic-library-alist shows same as before with older
> versions of dlls.

Please launch Emacs without your init file, and check the
dynamic-library-alist.  That list of DLLs especially the gnutls one
should be there in the ezwinports.  I'm assuming you're using the
stock install of Emacs 24.4 from the gnu website.

>My box is also win7 laptop (64-bit). I'm assuming that all
> this 32bit stuff will work since I think Emacs itself is still only 32 bit.

Yes, it will work.

> Anyway now gnus is not even usable as newsreader so I am posting via newsguy
> web
> direct. I don't want to undo what I've done and will start reading the whole
> gnus manual to see if I can get more insight into what is going on. Anyway I
> am
> not able to see where the old dll's are coming from.

Well, it is important that Emacs can find the exact versions of DLLs
of the alist that it think it needs.  Without that, nothing will work.
IF it is finding older versions of DLLs, you prolly have to root
through your win7 directories and at least temporarily rename those
DLLs.

>Is it necessary to restart w32 itself?

When I changed the PATH, I had to anyway reboot and so cannot say
either way; it might be a good idea to reboot, Win systems are funky.

>There is a 493k libXpm.dll in the emacs.exe subdirectory
>(\emacs\bin). Is that supposed to be there?

That shouldn't be a cause of any issues.  You don't have to do
anything to it.

Add these to your .gnus.el

(setq smtpmail-debug-info t) ; only to debug problems set to t if needed
(setq smtpmail-debug-verb t)
(setq gnus-verbose 7)
(setq gnus-verbose-backends 7)

Typically you should see something like this in Messages buffer.

Checking new news...
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) GnuTLS library loaded: libgnutls-28.dll
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) allocating credentials
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) setting the trustfile:
c:/cygwin/usr/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.trust.crt
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) setting the trustfile:
c:/cygwin/usr/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) gnutls callbacks
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) gnutls_init
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) got non-default priority string: NORMAL
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) setting the priority string
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) non-fatal error: Resource temporarily unavailable, try
again. [2715 times]
news.eternal-september.org certificate could not be verified.
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) certificate signer was not found:
news.eternal-september.org
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) certificate validation failed: news.eternal-september.org
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) allocating credentials
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) setting the trustfile:
c:/cygwin/usr/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.trust.crt
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) setting the trustfile:
c:/cygwin/usr/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) gnutls callbacks
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) gnutls_init
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) got non-default priority string: NORMAL
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) setting the priority string
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) non-fatal error: Resource temporarily unavailable, try
again. [3324 times]
news.gmane.org certificate could not be verified.

sivaram