Re: .gnus init file

From: B . T . Raven
Subject: Re: .gnus init file
Date: 3 Feb 2015 00:27:50 -0800

<mailman.19148.1422850086.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>Sivaram NeelakantanMon,
02 Feb 2015 09:37:54 +0530

>On Sun, Feb 01 2015,btraven  wrote:
>
>> I have both .emacs and .gnus in ~\ (w32 24.4) and am manually
>> transfering gnus stuff from .emacs to .gnus
>> Is there a way to have options > customize write to a
>> custom-set-variables paragraph in .gnus instead of in .emacs or does all
>> the gnus stuff set through customize have to stay in .emacs
>>
>> Also is this the right place to ask about using openssl, gnutls, and
>> other non-Emacs apps needed to make gnus a mail reader as well as a news
>> reader?
>>
>> I have all of this in \emacs\gnutls:
>>
>> cacert.pem         libgnutls-28.dll          openssl.exe
>> certtool.exe       libgnutls-openssl-27.dll  psktool.exe
>> danetool.exe       libhogweed-2-5.dll        ReadMe.txt
>> gnutls-cli-debug.exe  libiconv-2.dll         regex2.dll
>> gnutls-cli.exe             libintl-8.dll             srptool.exe
>> gnutls-serv.exe       libnettle-4-7.dll              ssleay32.dll
>> HashInfo.txt       libtasn1-6.dll            zlib1.dll
>> libeay32.dll       ocsptool.exe
>> libgmp-10.dll              OpenSSL\ License.txt
>>
>> and ssl.el in \emacs\site-lisp but the ssl.el may not be current (from
>> 1999).
>>
>> In the emacswiki I read:
>
>I just set up Emacs +gnus+gmail mail send/receive on my win 7 laptop.
>And this might not be what you were looking for but here goes anyway.
>
>1.  Download the ezwinports bin files from sourceforge.  Just take all
>of them, doesn't matter.  Look for w32-bin files I believe
>
>2.  Put them in c:/gnu/ezwinports or c:/Emacs/ezwinports. err...unzip
>them of course.
>
>3. look at your C-h v dynamic-library-alist
>
>Value: ((xpm "libxpm.dll" "xpm4.dll" "libXpm-nox4.dll")
> (png "libpng16.dll" "libpng16-16.dll")
> (tiff "libtiff-5.dll" "libtiff3.dll" "libtiff.dll")
> (jpeg "libjpeg-9.dll")
> (gif "libgif-7.dll")
> (svg "librsvg-2-2.dll")
> (gdk-pixbuf "libgdk_pixbuf-2.0-0.dll")
> (glib "libglib-2.0-0.dll")
> (gobject "libgobject-2.0-0.dll")
> (gnutls "libgnutls-28.dll" "libgnutls-26.dll")
> (libxml2 "libxml2-2.dll" "libxml2.dll")
> (zlib "zlib1.dll" "libz-1.dll"))
>
>These dlls should be there in unzipped directory.
>
>4.  Make sure that ezwinports dir is in the PATH in the "MY Computer"
>settings. Adding the path in Emacs doesn't work.  And it has to be
>there BEFORE the cygwin path.  which is important.
>
>5.  I have this settings for my .gnus
>
>--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>(setq mail-sources
>      '((pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
>             :port 995
>             :user "xxxxxxx@gmail.com"
>             :password "xxxxx"
>             :stream ssl)))
>;;if retrieving from spool, delete temp file after 1 days
>(setq mail-source-delete-incoming 1)
>(setq mail-source-delete-old-incoming-confirm nil)
>(eval-after-load "mail-source" '(require 'pop3))
>;;
>(setq smtpmail-stream-type 'ssl)
> [...]

Thanks, Sivaram. I have installed files you suggested above and added lines to
.gnus, restarted emacs, and now gnus is much slower (long wait on black
hourglass within Emacs. dynamic-library-alist shows same as before with older
versions of dlls. My box is also win7 laptop (64-bit). I'm assuming that all
this 32bit stuff will work since I think Emacs itself is still only 32 bit.
Anyway now gnus is not even usable as newsreader so I am posting via newsguy web
direct. I don't want to undo what I've done and will start reading the whole
gnus manual to see if I can get more insight into what is going on. Anyway I am
not able to see where the old dll's are coming from. Is it necessary to restart
w32 itself? There is a 493k libXpm.dll in the emacs.exe subdirectory
(\emacs\bin). Is that supposed to be there?

Ed