Re: alt-tab? really? you're joking...

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: alt-tab? really? you're joking...
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 09:12:57 +0100

Hikaru Ichijyo <ichijyo@macross.sdf.jp> writes:

>> M-TAB is used for completion in dozens other places in emacs.
>
> Really?  I don't doubt you, but I'd never run into that before.  I've
> seen lots of ordinary tab completion, but never M-TAB.

Well, in any programming mode, `<M-tab>' runs `completion-at-point' or
`complete-symbol' which are the main completion functions in emacs.
(Actually, that's bound to `C-M-i' but that translates to `<M-tab>'
which is much easier to type.)

>> You have 3 options:
>>
>>   a) Use `ESC TAB' instead of `M-TAB'.
>
> That would work.  A little awkward, but it would work.
>
>>   b) Use some other key as Meta, e.g., the windows key commonly found on
>>      keyboards.
>
> X11 on my system is already mapping that as "Super", and I'm already
> using it that way in numerous personal key bindings.  (It's convenient
> that almost nothing in Emacs seems to pre-define it for anything, so
> it's been a great place to put user defined stuff.)

That's true, but OTOH I favor a strict separation of keys, e.g., Control
and Meta are reserved for emacs, Super is reserved for the X11 window
manager.

Bye,
Tassilo