Re: alt-tab? really? you're joking...

From: Hikaru Ichijyo
Subject: Re: alt-tab? really? you're joking...
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 08:47:45 -0600

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> M-TAB is used for completion in dozens other places in emacs.

Really?  I don't doubt you, but I'd never run into that before.  I've
seen lots of ordinary tab completion, but never M-TAB.

> You have 3 options:
>
>   a) Use `ESC TAB' instead of `M-TAB'.

That would work.  A little awkward, but it would work.

>   b) Use some other key as Meta, e.g., the windows key commonly found on
>      keyboards.

X11 on my system is already mapping that as "Super", and I'm already
using it that way in numerous personal key bindings.  (It's convenient
that almost nothing in Emacs seems to pre-define it for anything, so
it's been a great place to put user defined stuff.)

>   c) Use another key for window manager window handling.

Most of them will let you move their window switching key to something
else...but why should I have to?  Most Emacs apps let you change your
key bindings almost infinitely.

> Not sure, but I guess emacs used M-TAB for completion purposes even
> before that.

Yes, I'm sure that's it.  Emacs has *old* roots.

Anyway, I think my problem was that I was trying to run BBDB v2.  It
looks like the new rewritten version does completion with tab alone.

--
He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent