Re: alt-tab? really? you're joking...

From: incal
Subject: Re: alt-tab? really? you're joking...
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 13:41:55 +0100

Hikaru Ichijyo <ichijyo@macross.sdf.jp> writes:

> Now, I do have another question of course (us Gnus
> newbies like me have those without end, I'd
> imagine...)

What I can tell there aren't that many Gnus newbies
around - I wish there were! - so don't be afraid
you'll flood this roup with questions or anything.

But if you want to be something more than a newbie,
the fool-proof method is acting like a professional
right away: start to write more elaborate subjects,
that are descriptive of the problem or, well subject
in short! - and not ironic in style.

And when you have a new question, start a new thread.
Or if it gradually evolved out of the old one but
still has some connection, keep the old subject like
this

    Subject: new subject (was: old subject)

That is typically done when the "new subject" needs a
quotation from the "old subject". If not, just create
a new subject.

> Is there a way I can make messages that I have
> already expired from the Summary buffer really
> disappear from view?

To me, it is easier not to bother with the expire
stuff at all. Just read the the material, or
implicitly use use `gnus-summary-mark-as-read-forward'
for what you don't want to read, and you are done. Use
`gnus-summary-tick-article-forward' for what you want
to read, only later, and for what you've read but you
want to keep, still (like a mail that contains
instructions what/how to do something). When you are
done, use `gnus-summary-mark-as-read-forward' to be
done with those, too. Here, I mention the command
names but that should be close, one-letter keystrokes,
of course...

--
underground experts united