Re: what is a good newsgroup to experiment with my gnus nntp settings?

From: SlackRat
Subject: Re: what is a good newsgroup to experiment with my gnus nntp settings?
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 20:59:19 +0100

On 2014-09-19 20:30, Brady Trainor wrote:
I took a couple stabs at using GNUS in the past, but was still probably too green with Emacs and the type of thinking. But finally, I think GNUS is here to stay, and it feels WAAAAYY better than relying solely on "more GUI" clients. Managing emails and emailing has never felt so easy.

However, my use of newsgroups is still a little rough around the edges, and I anticipate some fiddling. In the end, I usually download all the headers, for instance with Thunderbird I've done this across a dual boot. Unfortunately, I think this has provoked the gmane to block my ISP, though I was lucky enough I think the block was removed soon after.

MY QUESTION:

Is there another entity similar to gmane, more recreational say, or less valuable to me, where I can mess with my configuration and not risk an ISP block? I've read online something about ISP providers may do this, but I don't really understand. Is this my internet provider? Or would I contact a local institution such as University of Washington?

i'm not sure what you are looking for, but maybe these will help:

http://www.newsgroupreviews.com/eternal-september.html
http://www.eternal-september.org/

You could subscribe to alt.test.test for experimentation

Slackrat