Re: Sorting threads after gathering threads

From: Michael Welsh Duggan
Subject: Re: Sorting threads after gathering threads
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 20:04:55 -0400

> Michael Welsh Duggan <mwd@md5i.com> writes:
>
>> I am on an automated mailing list which I
>> automatically filter into a separate Gnus group. Each
>> message on this list is an individual, non-threaded
>> messages. Many of these messages are indeed related,
>> and this can be determined by the subject. I have put
>> my own subject-simplifying function in the
>> gnus-simplify-subject-functions' variable for this
>> group. This correctly gathers the individual messages
>> into threads ...
>
> To split listbots into groups is very common and of
> course the mails/posts should be threaded.

The important part here is that these are not real threads.  They are
individual messages with enough similarities that threading can be
simulated.  In Gnus parlance, they are "loose threads," and are put
together during "thread gathering."  Unfortunately, it seems like thread
gathering happens after thread sorting, for some unknown reason.

> I have:
>
> `gnus-sort-gathered-threads-function' is gnus-thread-sort-by-number
> `gnus-thread-sort-functions' is (gnus-thread-sort-by-number)
>
> which I didn't configure.
>
> In the help for `gnus-thread-sort-functions', it says:
>
>     You should probably always include
>     `gnus-thread-sort-by-number' in the list of sorting
>     functions -- preferably first. Also note that
>     sorting by date is often much slower than sorting
>     by number, and the sorting order is very
>     similar. (Sorting by date means sorting by the time
>     the message was sent, sorting by number means
>     sorting by arrival time.
>
> The result looks like this:

> I think that is the standard look with respect to
> sorting, because, as I said, I didn't configure that.
>
> Compared to that, (what I can see) group threads by
> subject, within those by time (actually number), with
> the most recent last - compared to that, what is it you
> would like to you change? (You probably already wrote
> that but it was hard to make out with all the other
> material you provided.)

With the settings as in my original mail (which you have cut out of this
response), the pseudo-threads (loose threads) are being gathered
properly, but the threads are not being sorted in the buffer by the
latest date in each thread, but rather by what appears to be date of the
first article in each thread.

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(md5i@md5i.com)