Re: beginner splitting mail

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: beginner splitting mail
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 19:23:11 +0100

Steven Arntson <steven@stevenarntson.com> writes:

> Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> writes:
>
> Okay, things are looking up .. ! (see below)

>>> I thought "from" would work best--if a news item is
>>> from gmane.emacs.gnus.user, then it would go to the
>>> "emacs" group. But something like this post, with the
>>> subject "beginner splitting mail" would not be caught
>>> by an "emacs" "^Subject" designation, unless I'm
>>> misunderstanding how that works? (very likely!)
>>
>> No, you are right - in my case, there is a listbot for
>> Emacs-w3m, and they always put "emacs-w3m" in the
>> subject!
>>
>> So for groups, your solution might makes sense, but
>> then again:
>>
>> 1) Don't you still need the closing .* after "emacs" to
>> match gmane.emacs.gnus.user? (Not a rhetorical
>> question.)
>>
>> 2) Do you really get the group in the From: header?
>> (Ditto.) Compare how I got your post:
>>
>> From: Steven Arntson <x@y.z>
>> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.gnus
>
> Yes, you're right about this. But perhaps it doesn't matter, now that
> I'm learning about "topics" ... (below)
>>
>> 3) Perhaps it is easier to just *keep* the groups -
>> they are already groups! I don't think it makes sense
>> to mix gnu.emacs.help, gnu.emacs.gnus,
>> gnu.emacs.sources, etc., just because they deal with
>> Emacs. Those distinctions help you keep a clear head.
>>
>> 4) If you would like some order that the original
>> Usenet group hierarchies can't provide, you can group
>> groups with labels (or topics, I don't do this, so I
>> don't know the correct terminology). That what, you'd
>> keep some order if you have tons of groups, but on a
>> closer look, the groups would still be distinct.
>
> This is exactly right. I just spent a quality fifteen minutes
> rearranging everything according to topics---very nice! This will be #1
> of the 365 things I learn about gnus in the coming year. :)
>

>>> 2. How to save you own mails - this works for me:
>>>
>>> I added this to my .gnus.el--thank you. But no results
>>> yet. (see below?)
>>
>> You are able to read Usenet, but not mail? Or are you
>> able to read both, just splitting ain't working?
>>
> So it looks like this /is/ working; I spake too soon. I thought it would
> retroactively refile all of the old month-by-month emails I had, which
> it didn't, but it is successfully routing new sent mails. Excellent!
>
> Is there a way to refile or reprocess those old emails so they fall under the
> new heading?

>>> I wonder if my troubles lie here. My .gnus.el file is
>>> cobbled from various sources, and I am illiterate
>>> regarding its meaning. The relevant (I think) portion
>>> I have is:
>>>
>>> ;;init stuff (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp
>>> "news.gwene.org")) (add-to-list
>>> gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnml ""))
>>> (add-to-list gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnmbox
>>> "" (nnmbox-mbox-file "~/MAIL") (nnmbox-active-file
>>> "~/Mail.active"))) (setq mail-sources '((pop :server
>>> "my.server.com" :user "me@mywebsite.com")))
>>
>> Someone else will have to fill you in on the exact
>> workings of this. Aren't nnml and nnmbox different
>> backends for mail on Unix systems?
>>
>> This is a good text, but might be too technical and not
>> enough practical at this stage - anyway, keep it as a
>> bookmark:
>>
>> http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_202.html
>>
>> Hunch: focus on either nnml or nnmbox.
>>
> It seems like my .gnus file is presently telling the system to use two
> similarly-purposed backends ... how do I manage get myself into these
> situations?! :) Do you have any opinion about nnml vs. nnmbox for
> someone accessing gnus locally as the sole user of a reasonably modern
> PC?

I've been using GNUs now for 5 months and I find that nnml is the best
backend, one file per email, it simplifies things no end :) I too am the
only user of this machine which is now 18 months old, with 4 gigs of
ram, so I like things to be nice and simple and using a light-weight DE
which is extremely customisable, but I digress. Whether you go with nnml
or nnmbox, stick with your decision and learn all you can about it, and
become expert at that backend.

Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.92.1