Re: beginner splitting mail

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: beginner splitting mail
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 22:36:35 +0200

> asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:

>> Gnus keeps an index (.overview) and marks (.marks) in its own format,
>> and it assumes that nobody messes with the emails/files.

[...]

> ...unless those changes are made to the .overview and .marks as well,
> right?

And they are not running at the same time, yes.

Have you looked at a .marks fil in a big group? It is not that likely
that anyone implements a compatible client, I think.

> But even if that was worked out I suppose you had to have some lock
> mechanism so not to get races and the risk of inconsistent data?

Yes.

> But isn't this a bit academic anyway because isn't the whole idea to
> have the files at your disk and use Gnus as the client?

Depends on who you are. I've learned that no two people want to handle
their email the same way.

*I* think it is perfectly reasonable that only Gnus touches my ~/Mail/,
but I have heard people who like to use multiple clients like Maildir,
especially because of the multi-client possibility.

The "modern" version of that is IMAP, I guess.

> Whoa yeah, I suppose it isn't an unthinkable scenario to have it as a
> server and then access it with different clients. But on the third
> hand, do you typically spend years mastering Emacs, Gnus, and Emacs
> Gnus, just so you can use a plethora of clients? I wouldn't, for sure.

People have very different ideas of how email should work.

Some even donate their email to Google, or Microsoft.

  :-),

   Adam

--
 "Grr. Very annoyingly non-obvious."                          Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk