Re: Searching a newsgroup?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Searching a newsgroup?
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 16:19:36 +0800

On Thu, Oct 06 2011, Angel de Vicente wrote:

> Hi Eric,

>> I use 'G G' on newsgroups to search them -- I think that's nnir, and it
>> should be something that comes out of the box by default, I'm pretty
>> sure I haven't set anything up. Perhaps it only works on Gmane, or
>> there's some other restrictions?
>
> In my setting, in the Group buffer 'G G' is not defined and in the
> summary buffer 'G G' is:
>
> ,----[ *Help* ]
> | G g (translated from G G) runs the command gnus-summary-goto-subject, which
> is
> | an interactive compiled Lisp function.
> |
> | It is bound to G g, <menu-bar> <Gnus> <Move> <Go to subject number...>.
> |
> | (gnus-summary-goto-subject ARTICLE &optional FORCE SILENT)
> |
> | Go to the subject line of ARTICLE.
> | If FORCE, also allow jumping to articles not currently shown.
> `----
>
> Which function do you have G G bound to?

G G runs the command gnus-group-make-nnir-group

I really don't know why I would have this and you wouldn't: I've looked
through my gnus.el and it doesn't look like I've customized anything
related to nnir -- that string doesn't even appear in my setup.

Give it a shot though? It's pretty handy. I have no idea what the search
syntax is, I just whack plain strings in there.

Eric

gnus-version --> "No Gnus v0.18"

--
GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.4)
 of 2011-04-04 on rothera, modified by DebiannNo Gnus v0.18