Re: my vs maildir

From: prad
Subject: Re: my vs maildir
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 10:38:08 -0800

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> Possibly you could post your set up? I am a little confused now. You are
> running a local Dovecot? (on your machine or on a local server?).

.emacs:
(setq imap-shell-program
  '("MAIL=maildir:$HOME/Mail /usr/lib/dovecot/imap"))

.gnus:
(setq gnus-parameters
      '(("Mail:.*" ;"^nnimap\\+Mail:INBOX"
         (gcc-self . t))))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnimap "Mail" (nnimap-stream shell))))

those are the relevant parts to getting in with dovecot. there is no
dovecot running now which it was doing before and i had access to it
through .authinfo and my personal login data.

> You then also don't need nnmairix. You can use dovecot's own indexing
> via nnir.

i tried that last night, but haven't gotten it to work yet though it
looks pretty straight-forward to me. i may post questions later if i'm
not successful. however, i rather like mairix as indicated in my mairix
problems post and it may be more suitable as my emails grow - just
haven't gotten that to work fully either.

> You saying  "imap without running a server" is the bit that throws me.

ya that's the neat idea brett provided. it seems i can use imap from
dovecot without having a daemon running.

--
in friendship,
prad