Re: Indexing Gnus (and other...) mails

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Indexing Gnus (and other...) mails
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 11:29:36 -0500

On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 16:40:31 +0200 David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> wrote:

DE> When I started with this, I thought about integrating mairix into nnir,
DE> but the way nnir works internally doesn't really fit too well for
DE> mairix.

DE> Mairix does not care about mailboxes and article numbers; it works
DE> strictly on the filesystem level, and search results are simply links to
DE> the original message files. While this has some obvious advantages (it's
DE> fast, and the resulting mailbox is "just there", but still occupies
DE> almost no filespace), it makes other things pretty hard to do,
DE> e.g. finding the original article in Gnus and propagating marks to it.

I see.  That's actually too bad, because it would be nice to get the
search results inside nnir.  Regardless, what bothers me is the
synchronous nature of all these backends.  If you use anything.el,
you'll see how it shows found items dynamically as they show up.  Gnus
should be able to do that too, but it can't because everything in the
backend architecture is synchronous and serialized.

>> If anyone has experience integrating mairix with Courier or Dovecot,
>> please let me know.

DE> You mean as a plugin? Otherwise, it's pretty straightforward. I call it
DE> via ssh slave connections directly on the server.

Yes, I meant as a plugin, so it would Just Work with IMAP SEARCH.

Ted