Re: Why has my gnus becomes so slow?

From: Andy Stewart
Subject: Re: Why has my gnus becomes so slow?
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 11:04:51 +0800

>>>>> "Victor" == Victor S Miller <victor@algebraic.org> writes:

Hi, Victor.

------------------------------> leafnode instro start
<------------------------------

 Leafnode is a news server suitable for small, limited-bandwidth sites
 with only a few users ('leaf' sites). It keeps track of which groups are being
 read, and downloads only articles in those groups. Leafnode has been
 designed to require no maintenance and to be easy to set up.

------------------------------> leafnode instro end
<------------------------------

Because gnus get news is implement as elisp, and gnus is same process
with emacs.
So if gnus get many news self, will make it freeze too long.

leafnode can get news from server in background, so gnus just to read
localhost from leafnode and don't spend much time on get news.

My gnus always very fast when i use leafnode to get news.

You can get it from
http://leafnode.sourceforge.net

If you use Debian, it's very simply, just:

1. -> sudo aptitude install leafnode

2. -> After leafnode, it will ask:
"Which news server should Leafnode download news from?"
And type your like news server, like me: news.cn99.com

3. -> Then ask:
" What type of network connection do you have?"
And select your network connection, like me: permanent

And it's all.

Last,
(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "localhost"))

And guns will have wonderful speed.

Have fun! :)

Regards.

Andy.