Re: Topics : total unread

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: Re: Topics : total unread
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 08:40:13 +0100

Hi Adam,

>>> ;; New Gnus-function: mark gcc'ed as read - coool!
>>> (setq gnus-gcc-mark-as-read t)
>>
>> I did give a try to this, but stopped after it appeared
>> really slooow to update the marks.
>
> That sounds weird to me. But then again, my archive groups are
> per year and I don't write tens of thousands of mail/news per
> year ;-)

I don't either ;-)

>> At least, it really takes ages for the mark updates in the
>> groups containing a lot of mail. In particular, I'm talking
>> of my main mailbox which contains 17.000 mails or so.
>
> Are you gcc'ing to the same group or another group for
> archival?

The group I'm talking of is the one which contains all the
*received and sent* mails from/to my colleagues, over the
4 years and a half I'm using Gnus.

So, yes:

    o   I apply automatic splitting to my incoming mails, so
        that it gets sorted by (groups of) emitters: family,
        friends, colleagues, ...

    o   and I always GCc to the corresponding group - when
        answering -, so that the threading of my conversations
        works nicely.

This explains that, in particular, my "work" group is getting
big, with ~ 17.000 mails.

Applying the above described method for automatically marking my
answers as read mails is incredibly slow for that one group (one
minute, or more); though, it was OK for smaller groups.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban