Re: getting fancy splitting instead of splitting

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: getting fancy splitting instead of splitting
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 19:09:40 +0100

Bill Harris <bill_harris@facilitatedsystems.com> writes:

> kai@emptydomain.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> (message "split is %s" nnmail-split-methods)
>> (sleep-for 3)
>
> As I understand it, that should pause for 3 seconds, displaying "split
> is <somethingorother>" in the minibuffer, right?

Yes, but I forgot about the unbound case.

> When I put it near the beginning of my .emacs, I get [an error][...]

Ah, I forgot that case.  One could say (if (boundp
'nnmail-split-methods) nnmail-split-methods "unbound") instead of just
nnmail-split-methods in the statement.

> When I put it late enough in my .emacs, I still don't see anything, but
> it at least runs.

How come you don't see anything?  Weird.  Does it help to use sit-for
instead of sleep-for?  Does it help to say (redraw-display) before
(sleep-for 3) or (sit-for 3)?

Ick.  I should be testing this.

> Afterwards, (mapcar 'car load-history) gives a list that's not too
> meaningful: [...]  given that it's truncated.

I just tried it, and M-x ielm RET doesn't truncate.

> in the early part.  It appears as if it's picking up an older, compiled
> .gnus.elc instead of my .gnus.  I'll delete that and try again.
>
> ... and that worked!  I thought Emacs took the latest version, compiled
> or not.  Perhaps it only compares .el and .elc files, not .gnus and
> .gnus.elc files?

Yes, Emacs uses *.elc even if *.el is newer.  It then helpfully prints
"(source file is newer)" in the echo area (minibuffer).

> At any rate, the suggestion to look at load-history was just what I
> needed; thanks!  Assuming I don't find anything else strange, I think
> I'm back and running again.

I'm happy that it works now.  Apologies for the clumsy help.

Kai