getting fancy splitting instead of splitting

From: Bill Harris
Subject: getting fancy splitting instead of splitting
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 19:28:15 GMT

I'm totally confused at this point.  Something happened with my nntp
server late last week.  In the process of fixing that (adding alternate
servers and an nntp timeout), I apparently did something unfortunate to
my Gnus (v5.10.6) configuration, and then we lost power for a day in the
middle of my troubleshooting, so my knowledge of exactly what changed is
a bit fuzzy.  I did have backups of my old .emacs and .gnus, and I did
restore those and then try adding only the new nntp servers and
timeout.

I used to have normal splitting set up to put various emails where they
belonged.  I had tried spam-stat.el ages ago and then given up on it, so
fancy splitting was turned on for a bit a couple of years ago and then
turned off, or so I think.

Now every time I start gnus, I end up with fancy splitting, which, since
it's not set up, doesn't do anything except pass everything through to
mail.misc.

nnmail-split-methods is set in customize to an alist that seems correct.

nnmail-prepare-incoming-message-hook was set to
spam-stat-store-current-buffer, but I customized it to empty.

gnus-install-group-spam-parameters was set to on, but I customized it to
nil.

spam-stat-install-hooks was set to on, but I customized it to nil.

When I run 'B t' on an article in mail.misc that should go to a certain
group, I get

,----
| (: spam-stat-split-fancy)
| "mail.misc"
`----

I presume this means fancy splitting is somehow turned on, but I don't
have any idea how.  Can anyone help?

I checked my .emacs and .gnus for things that might call fancy splitting
and don't see anything:

,----[ bash transcript ]

`----

,----[ bash transcript ]
| Bill Harris@Villingen /c
| $ grep fancy .emacs
| ;; setup fancy diary display
|      (setq diary-display-hook 'fancy-diary-display)
|
| Bill Harris@Villingen /c
| $ grep fancy .gnus
| ;;;   (setq spam-stat-split-fancy-spam-group "spam")
| ;;;     (setq nnmail-split-fancy
| ;;;           `(| (: spam-stat-split-fancy)
| ;; (setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy) ; commented out 2006-12-19
|
| Bill Harris@Villingen /c
| $
`----

I have gotten splitting to work on occasion yesterday and today.  I
think it had to do with resetting the variables I mentioned above in
Customize, but it all goes away when I restart emacs and then gnus.

I think the key variable to customize to make splitting work is
nnmail-split-fancy; it keeps coming back.  When I start Gnus, I see
something in the minibuffer about starting spam-stat; is it possible
that some function is turning fancy splitting back on?  Any suggestions
on where I can find that?  I suspect it's something I've customized.

Thanks,

Bill
--
Bill Harris                      http://facilitatedsystems.com/weblog/
Facilitated Systems                              Everett, WA 98208 USA