Re: setting the from header in outgoing mail and news

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: setting the from header in outgoing mail and news
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 22:39:13 +0200

On 25 May 2006 22:14:32 +0200, Urs wrote:

> I have a domain "isnogud.escape.de" which I use for the From: header
> in mail and news.  All my machines have hostnames
> <host>.isnogud.escape.de and Gnus therefore wants to set the From:
> header to urs@<host>.isnogud.escpae.de, which is not a valid email
> address.

> For mail I fix this with sendmail masquerading, for news I always have
> to add the correct From: header by hand.  This is not only nasty (and
> I sometimes forget to set the header causing news posting with invalid
> email address), it also prevents me from canceling my news postings
> since Gnus thinks my articles are not my own when I try to cancel.
> This is probably because the From: header is different from what Gnus
> would put there.

> I have searched the Gnus manual but didn't find the solution.  I have
> an old .gnus file which contains the setting of the variable
> gnus-use-generic-from, which I thought I have found in the docs quite
> some time ago, but which I can't find anymore.  It also doesn't work.

> How can I make Gnus use the correct From: header in mail and news?

Does it help to set user-mail-address?

Like this, in your ~/.gnus, perhaps:

 (setq user-mail-address "urs@isnogud.escape.de")

,----[ C-h v user-mail-address RET ]
| `user-mail-address' is a variable declared in Lisp.
|   -- loaded from "sendmail"
|
| Value: "asjo@koldfront.dk"
|
| Documentation:
| *Full mailing address of this user.
| This is initialized based on `mail-host-address',
| after your init file is read, in case it sets `mail-host-address'.
`----

Perhaps it is sufficient to set mail-host-address in your .emacs

  Best regards,

--
 "Our hero regains consciousness at the feet of a             Adam Sjøgren
  sarcastic alien..."                                    asjo@koldfront.dk