setting the from header in outgoing mail and news

From: Urs Thuermann
Subject: setting the from header in outgoing mail and news
Date: 25 May 2006 22:14:32 +0200

I have a domain "isnogud.escape.de" which I use for the From: header
in mail and news.  All my machines have hostnames
<host>.isnogud.escape.de and Gnus therefore wants to set the From:
header to urs@<host>.isnogud.escpae.de, which is not a valid email
address.

For mail I fix this with sendmail masquerading, for news I always have
to add the correct From: header by hand.  This is not only nasty (and
I sometimes forget to set the header causing news posting with invalid
email address), it also prevents me from canceling my news postings
since Gnus thinks my articles are not my own when I try to cancel.
This is probably because the From: header is different from what Gnus
would put there.

I have searched the Gnus manual but didn't find the solution.  I have
an old .gnus file which contains the setting of the variable
gnus-use-generic-from, which I thought I have found in the docs quite
some time ago, but which I can't find anymore.  It also doesn't work.

How can I make Gnus use the correct From: header in mail and news?

urs