Re: article reset on the server

From: David Z Maze
Subject: Re: article reset on the server
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 14:52:38 -0500

leon <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> I have a local nnml archive group say it has 33 articles. Then I move the
> 33rd article to another group by 'B m'. So now this group has only 32
> articles. However gnus always displays it has 33 articles. More over
> when I copy another article to this group, it will start from 34 instead
> of 33. Any ideas?

That's a totally different problem from what the OP had.  See the Gnus
FAQ, e.g. http://my.gnus.org/faq/html-chunks/FAQ.html#id2526579.  The
only way around it is to select every article in the group and move it
back to the same group so that your articles get renumbered.

(Say your group has articles 101...133.  You've moved article 133 away
but Gnus still remembers that 133 was the last article number, so the
next one is 134 and you have articles 101...134, even though 133 is
missing.  C-u M-RET M P b B m my.group.name will make the articles be
135...157, which is a contiguous block of 33 articles.  The OP's
problem was in nntp, not nnml, where the server administrator
renumbered the articles 1...33, horribly confusing Gnus.)

  --dzm