Re: summary displays recipient instead of sender

From: bxf4
Subject: Re: summary displays recipient instead of sender
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 12:01:15 -0800

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> writes:

>>> !  [  31: -> bxf4@yahoo.com] mail 1
>>>  A [  83: -> bxf4@yahoo.com] conference
>>>    [ 110: -> <bxf4@yahoo.com>] FW: calculation
>>>    [  35: -> Brian Flattery   ] RE: Paperwork
>>
>>> I much prefer if the sender was shown in an incoming box, like this:
>>
>>> !  [  31: Person Number1] mail 1
>>>  A [  83: Person Number2] conference
>>>    [ 110: Someone Else] FW: calculation
>>>    [  35: Flat Earth ] RE: Paperwork
>>
>> (setq gnus-extra-headers nil
>>       nnmail-extra-headers nil)
>>
>> This is what you are looking for, I think.

Hello,

Thank you both for your replies.  I changed nnmail-extra-headers to
nil as above (it had been quote (To Newsgroups)) and the Summary
listings showed up as I'd hoped.  However, in a subsequent email,
someone said that setting this to nil breaks things.  May I ask what
it breaks?  I haven't found out yet.

> I don't think that we had changes in that area.  I'd guess that the OP
> has set `gnus-ignored-from-addresses' to some regexp that matches more
> or less everything.

I've never tinkered with gnus-ignored-from-addresses and right now it
is set to "".  I know sed and awk regexps, but not sure where emacs
regexps differ.  I don't think "" should match everything, right?
".*" would match everything, wouldn't it?

Are there other variables relevant to the summary-display?  I've
checked the format statement and it looks just like the one in the
info manual, but it isn't putting the sender where it should.

Thank you both (and any others) for your time and help.