Re: problem: .overview~[0-9]*~ files not being deleted

From: Kevin Greiner
Subject: Re: problem: .overview~[0-9]*~ files not being deleted
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 20:30:48 -0600

wayne <wayne@schlitt.net> writes:

> Ok, I have a wierd one that I hope someone has heard of before.  I've
> poked around some, but I can't find the cause.  I confess I haven't
> dug deeply into the code though.
>
> A while back, I suddenly started to accumulate old .overview~[0-9]*~
> files in my ~/News/agent/ subdirectories.  They stick around for ever,
> so it isn't just keeping the last 4 files.  They seem to accumulate in
> most groups, but maybe not all of them.
>
> I think this started happening when I upgraded to gnus "No gnus v0.4",
> but I'm not certain.  It took a while before I noticed that my disk
> was overflowing with them.  I'm running Debian Linux and uxing "XEmacs
> 21.4 (patch 17) \"Jumbo Shrimp\" [Lucid] (i386-debian-linux) of Sat
> May 28 2005 on penell"
>

> Other than the accumulation of these .overview files, things seem to
> be working fine.
>

> Any ideas?  Should I just create a cron job to delete them?

The cron job is a good idea.  The agent is generating these files
because it corrected an error in the overview file.  The original idea
was to keep them around to help with diagnosing the error.
Limiting the agent to a couple of backup files sounds like a good
idea.  I'll see about getting that in the next few days.

Kevin