Safe way to clean out newsrc.eld cruft?

From: Bruno Hertz
Subject: Safe way to clean out newsrc.eld cruft?
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 23:29:17 +0200

Hi folks

I'm under the impression that now and again redundant info is stored
in newsrc.eld which I'd like to clean out safely.

Example: I browse a foreign server, subscribe to some groups and even
edit the server vars. All that stuff of course is stored in eld. At
some point now, I decide to add that server to my secondaries, thus
making those eld entries redundant.

Afaik, Gnus itself does not clean that now redundant stuff out
(correct me if I'm wrong), but I'd still like to do it, to keep that
file lean and mean. Question hence: how to?

Thanks, Bruno.