Re: How to get new mail without leaving Summary buffer?

From: Bruno Hertz
Subject: Re: How to get new mail without leaving Summary buffer?
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:49:44 +0200

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 30 2005, Bruno Hertz wrote:
>
>> The group buffer is not entered resp. the summary buffer not left
>> here, afaik.
>
> Wrong.  The doc string clearly says so:

Partly, yes. See below.

> ,----[ `C-h k M-g' ]
> | M-g runs the command gnus-summary-rescan-group
> |    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `gnus-sum'.
> | It is bound to M-g, Z G, <menu-bar> <Gnus> <Exit> <Rescan group>.
> | (gnus-summary-rescan-group &optional all)
> |
> | Exit the newsgroup, ask for new articles, and select the newsgroup.
> `----

One might still differentiate 'leaving the group' and 'leaving the buffer'.
The buffer isn't actually left on M-g when new mails are available, which
was the case during my tests. The summary is apparantly completely rebuilt,
though, as one would expect when a group is exited and reentered.

On the other hand, if no new articles are pending, the behavior described
by OP actually occurs, i.e. the group buffer pops up and you're asked
about how many articles you want to pull. So one really leaves the summary,
and (unfortunately) on hitting C-g at that point one is left in the group
buffer (would be better if the summary hadn't been destroyed at that point
- and maybe it isn't, didn't investigate that - and could be brought back,
so that one had a nondestructive check method).

Anyways, that's why I said 'doesn't leave the buffer'.

Regards, Bruno.