info-gnu-chess

GNU Chess redistribution licensing

From: Alex Ignácio da Silva
Subject: GNU Chess redistribution licensing
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 17:05:52 -0300

To the GNU Chess development team,

I would like to know whether it's allowed to redistribute GNU Chess
along with a third party GUI application to play chess. Since the GNU
Chess engine would be started as a separate process and communication
handled through standard input/output pipes, I believe it could be
considered a separate work independent of the GUI application, as
suggested by the FSF:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation

and hence the GPL would not be applied to the GUI interface application.

Please correct me if this is not the intent of GNU Chess' development team!

Cheers,

Alex