iiwusynth-devel

Re: [iiwusynth-devel] RE: Hi - Very quiet list - my first post

From: Chris Cannam
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] RE: Hi - Very quiet list - my first post
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 22:23:20 +0000

On Tuesday 21 January 2003 21:46, Peter Hanappe wrote:
> No matter how many SoundFonts you load, the synthesizer remains
> just one synthesizer. So that's why there's only one ALSA MIDI
> device.

That part didn't surprise me -- I just couldn't see how it could
accept multiple SoundFonts and only offer one ALSA device.  That's
because I'd sort of assumed that most SoundFonts started at bank
zero, program zero, and so it wouldn't be worth loading more than one
onto the same device.

> When you load several SoundFonts, the banks and presets of the
> lastly loaded file can mask the banks and presets of previously
> loaded files. It works like a stack. I guess that's the problem you
> ran into.

Yes, I had formerly assumed that it simply didn't work with more than
one SoundFont but your post led me to jump to the optimistic
conclusion that it might be doing some clever stuff that allowed it
to map (say) two GM bank-zero-plus-percussion SoundFonts onto one
MIDI device, if only I knew how to get at the results.   Mostly just
a misunderstanding on my part, though it'd be very nice if it could
do that sort of magic.

> Last I tested, that's how Labs/Creative's SoundFont synth
> works.

Ah, I wouldn't know -- I had an AWE once but it only had 512K on it
and you can't do much in that.

Chris