iiwusynth-devel

Re: [iiwusynth-devel] More CVS changes

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] More CVS changes
Date: 09 Dec 2002 13:05:48 -0800

On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 02:09, Peter Hanappe wrote:
> Latest changes:
>
> - Micro tuning: I'll send a separate mail to explain in detail.

This sounds really cool (read your other email). I was discussing this
type of support to a user a while back. Its nice to be able to use
different tunings than the "standard" 12 note scale. I've been trying to
figure out how a GUI could deal with this. I mean the standard piano
becomes kind of useless when doing say a 13 note scale.

> - Test implementation for handling settings. Also explained
>    in a seperate mail.

Looking really nice! I think this pretty much covers all settings
related issues, except perhaps, querying of available drivers. Any
thoughts on how this could be implemented? If drivers were loaded as
plugins (as it sounds like you might be thinking of) they would need a
way to register themselves, anyways. Maybe a string based enumeration
type? In that case the "audio_driver" variable would by of type "string
enum" and there could be a function:

int iiwu_settings_get_enum_values (char *name, char **values);

Which would store a pointer to a zero terminated array of strings in
@values and perhaps return a count as well. I guess it probably should
be dynamic so that enum values can be added (by a registered driver for
instance). So you would then have a iiwu_settings_enum_values_free() or
the like.

> - A 'man' file: Can you believe it! It's already outdated, BTW.
> - iiwusynth can play MIDI files. Just pass the file names on the
>    command line.
>    iiwuplay is obsolete now. Avoids writing two man pages ;)
> - There were problems with the metadata buffer overflow when reading
>    MIDI files. Should be fixed.
> - New command line options:
>    -i: don't start a shell interaction
>    -n: don't start the midi input driver
> - Shell commands:
>    o the ~ escape character is now handled for file names. Josh, didn't
>      you request that two years ago?

Umm, yeah :) Makes things a little more friendly.

>    o the 'source' command loads a file and interpretes it
>    o the 'reset' command sends a system reset.
>
> Cheers!
> Peter

Its neat to see all the new things being added to FluidSynth. I'm
looking forward to when I get over this current core API development
phase of Swami and can actually start adding functionality :)
Cheers.
        Josh Green