iiwusynth-devel

Re: [iiwusynth-devel] strange linking problem

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] strange linking problem
Date: 08 Dec 2002 18:40:51 -0800

On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 18:29, Per Weijnitz wrote:
>         Hello,
>
> I downloaded iiwusynth-0.2.2 and ran into a linking error
> (atleast that's what I think it is). Perhaps it has something
> to do with my compiler suite, as I don't see how anyone
> could not have noticed this already.
>
> First, I could not start iiwusynth as I got "Failed to create
> the synthesizer". I realised new_iiwu_synth() was never reached
> from iiwusynth.c as the debug messages I put in new_iiwu_synth()
> were never printed.
>
> However, if I entered src/ and manually linked the iiwusynth
> binary with *.o (removing iiwuplay.o first) instead of letting
> it be linked with the libs (Makefile default), it does get
> properly linked, and new_iiwu_synth() is reached. Then
> the "Failed to create the synthesizer" disappeared too:
>
> gcc -g -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-qual -Wcast-align
> -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-unused -o iiwusynth *.o -lreadline -L.libs -lpthread
> -lasound -lm -ldl
>

> My setup is:
>  - Debian 3.0 (up to date with security dpkgs).
>    - gcc version 2.95.4 20011002 (Debian prerelease)
>    - ln (fileutils) 4.1
>    - ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.4.2a
>    - kernel: linux 2.4.19
>  - Alsa 0.9.0
>  - ./configure --disable-oss-support --enable-debug
>

>   /PW

This might have something to do with multiple libiiwusynth.so files
installed. I don't recall if the library versions changed in 0.2.2 or
not (was changed to libiiwusynth.so.1.0.0 from libiiwusynth.so.0.0.0).
ldd can help in these situations. If you do an "ldd iiwusynth" you will
get a list of the dynamic libraries and their locations. Hope that
helps.
        Josh Green