iiwusynth-devel

Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Multi channel output and number of midi channels

From: Peter Hanappe
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Multi channel output and number of midi channels
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 10:40:52 +0100

M. Nentwig wrote:
Moi again,

Hi Markus,

my proposal:

- Implement the multi channel function as you explained (channel
wraparoud)
- Implement the multi-aux bus structure as you proposed, stereo,
including chorus and reverb in their places according to the MIDI
standard
- By default mix the aux returns to 'physical' output 1 and 2
- By default the MIDI channel 'modulo' number and the number of physical
channels are the same (as in your mail).
- The mixing is implemented outside of the LADSPA Fx unit, which can be
left out of compilation as before.

Now my additions: If LADSPA is compiled in
- The MIDI channel modulo factor is arbitrary
When LADSPA is turned off (at runtime), proceed as above.
When it's turned on (at runtime):
- The wrapped-around MIDI channels appear as single-channel inputs in
the LADSPA Fx unit
- The Aux ways appear also as inputs, in stereo.
- Chorus and reverb appear on their respective aux ways if enabled. If
disabled, the clean signal is fed through instead.

This way we get the advantages of both ideas:
- For the average user, the similarity to a HW mixing console makes
things easier
- 'Power users' can use LADSPA like 'Reason' as a patch bay to build the
Fx rack of their dreams.
- If somebody needs the 'lean-and-mean' version, he compiles without the
LADSPA option, default anyway.

What do you think?

That is fine for me. I can commit a version with the multi-channel
output this evening. Only the JACK driver is currently multi-channel
aware (I don't have the RME multiface ;). You can then see if you can
work with that. The additional aux buses are not implemented yet,
however, the API and the code somehow shows how it'd be done.

PS: The documentation for the Fx unit actually exists, I wrote it
together with the code. Let's see if I can find it still.

I still have it.

Lates,
Peter