iiwusynth-devel

[iiwusynth-devel] dropouts help

From: Antoine Schmitt
Subject: [iiwusynth-devel] dropouts help
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 19:09:01 +0100

Hi,
we are having some problems with the Win32 FluidSynth, on specific hardware. I would like to understand how to deal with it. Maybe some of you will have some idea.

The problem : dropouts when playing a noteon, on some looped-sustained organs. It is dropouts, i.e. like if the needle jumped to another place on the record, *not* a click where the sound continues playing with the right timing after the click. Depending on the buffer length, there are from an average of 5 dropouts per second (normal bufferlengths) to 1 every 5 or 10 seconds for largest possible buffer lengths. The rate of dropouts is not fixed. It varies depending on machine load, and even on mouse activity sometimes.

The hardware : SoundBlaster Live Value, Pentium III 1GHz Dual Processor, Windows2000, DX8 Note that it does not happen with a regular "SoundBlaster Live", on the same machine. We have not tested yet with the LiveValue on another machine. We have not tested yet with another LiveValue card than this particular one.

We tried many buffer lengths (audio buffer, synthesis buffer), up to the maximum accepted lengths (without recompilation):
- synthesis = 512, audio = 32x512
- synthesis = 64, audio = 512x64
- synthesis = 128, audio = 128x64
The rate of dropouts was mostly sensitive to the length of the audio buffer, but was still sensitive to the synthesis buffer as well.

We tried using the commandline application provided with the standard source tree : iiwusynth, as well as with the Director Xtra linked with the iiwu library.

Any idea would be really welcome. Thanks in advance !

++ as