Re: [igraph] degree centrality in 2-mode network

From: Stefan Wallaschek
Subject: Re: [igraph] degree centrality in 2-mode network
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 23:25:17 +0100

Hi,

thank you Tamas for your response. The bipartite graph that I am using is not directed.

If I understand your answer correctly on how to calculate density, then, the code above might be wrong, because it says

# Number of top and bottom nodes
top<-length(V(g)[type==FALSE])
bottom<-length(V(g)[type==TRUE])
# Number of edges
m<-ecount(g)
# Mean degree for top and bottom nodes
ktop<-m/top
kbottom<-m/bottom
# Density for bipartite network
bidens<-m/(top*bottom)
So, it takes the actual existing number of edges in the bipartite graph and divides it by the product of the number of nodes for each type. Based on your described ratio, it seems to miss the total number of possible edges between the top and bottom vertices, right?
In my case and as an example, we have 11 "top" vertices and 17 "bottom" vertices and the number of edges (m) is 215 (because in this graph, there can be multipe edges between a top and a bottom vertice). If I take the numbers and calculate the density in the following way 215/(11*17), I get 1.15.

So, is there anything missing in the calculation or could the multiple edges in the network be the problem here? And how could it be solved?

Best wishes,
  Stefan