Re: [igraph] degree centrality in 2-mode network

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] degree centrality in 2-mode network
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 21:34:40 +0200

The suggested code works out and I also checked the named reference for
further information, but I couldn't find anything about the ratio of
bipartite network density. It either doesn't seem to be the 0-1 ratio of
one-mode networks or I did something wrong, because I get results about
1.0 for the 2-mode-networks?
You are probably doing something wrong because the measure should be between 0 and 1. It is actually simply the ratio of the total number of edges and the total number of _possible_ edges between the "top" and the "bottom" vertices. If you get a result close to 1.0, it means that almost all of the possible edges between the top and the bottom vertices are present -- assuming that there are no edges between top-top or bottom-bottom, which should be the case anyway if it is a bipartite network.

One possible catch is if your network is directed; in that case, you should multiply the denominator of the fraction (i.e. the number of possible edges) by 2.