Re: [igraph] Closeness

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] Closeness
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 16:27:13 +0200

> I think I may be using the function incorrectly because my network is
> directed.
> [...]
> Does closeness() require some parameters?
You might want to compare the results obtained with closeness(mode="out") vs
closeness(mode="in"); depending on your data, one of them might make more sense
than the other. Also, since the closeness centrality of a vertex is the
reciprocal
of its "farness" from other nodes (which is the sum of its distance to all the
other nodes), you should expect less variability in terms of absolute values
between closeness centrality scores. Finally, closeness scores in disconnected
graphs might be less meaningful as the distance of a node from another node in
a different component is defined to be equal to N (the number of vertices) --
if you have many such pairs, this could skew the result significantly.