Re: [igraph] bow tie

From: Simone Gabbriellini
Subject: Re: [igraph] bow tie
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 11:36:49 +0100

Hi Tamas,

well I am looking for the way to visualize my graph as a bow-tie... so
if I do all the steps I should find all of the elements I need, but
then how to plot a figure like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/03/%22Bow-tie%22_diagram_of_components_in_a_directed_network.jpg

I have found this representation in many papers but I do not think
this can be achieved in R...

Thanks!
Simone

2013/2/27 Tamas Nepusz <address@hidden>:
>> is there any function in igraph to analyze and plot a graph with the
>> bow-tie structure?
> What do you want to analyze about it specifically? In some sense, every
> directed graph can be considered a bow-tie graph:
>
> 1) Find the strongly connected components of the graph and name the largest
> one as the "core". (If your graph is large enough, there will almost surely
> be one core component anyway).
>
> 2) For each node not in the core, check whether it can reach the core. Name
> all these nodes that are not in the core the in-component. (You can use
> shortest.paths to find paths between nodes and the core).
>
> 3) For each node not in the core or the in-component, check whether they are
> reachable from the core. These nodes are the out-component.
>
> 4) For all the remaining nodes, check whether they could reach the core if
> you ignored edge directions (use shortest.paths with mode="all"). Nodes that
> can reach the core after ignoring edge directions are parts of a tendril.
>
> 5) For all the remaining nodes, mark them as disconnected.
>
> --
> T.

Simone Gabbriellini, PhD

address@hidden, University of Bologna