Re: [igraph] igraph installation error on Mac 10.6

From: Tamás Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] igraph installation error on Mac 10.6
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 10:12:36 +0100

> #1 ----------------------------
> The installer option fails at the Destination Select window with the
> statement:
> “Python-igraph 0.6 can’t be installed on this disk. python-igraph requires
> Apple Python 2.7 to install”
>
> Python 2.7 is the default version (not sure how to direct the installer to
> this – ideal solution).
Chances are that you have installed Python on your own (either by downloading
an installer from python.org, or compiling it yourself). The installers we
provide on PyPI work with the version of Python that is bundled with the
operating system by Apple. Can you please confirm that you are indeed trying to
install igraph into a custom Python installation and not the default one
provided by Apple?

> #2 ----------------------------
> The C libraries were installed in:
> /usr/local/Cellar/igraph/0.6/include/igraph (sym linked from
> /usr/local/include/). The error I get is:
> ….
> /opt/local/include/igraph/attributes.h:326: error: expected declaration
> specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘igraph_strvector_t’
This is confusing. If the C libraries were installed in
/usr/local/Cellar/igraph/0.6/include/igraph, then why does the compiler refer
to include files in /opt/local/include/igraph? Do you have any "old", leftover
igraph installation on your machine that the compiler could be picking up
instead of the include files in /usr/local? If so, please delete the igraph
includes from /opt/local/include and any leftover igraph libraries from
/opt/local/lib and try again.

All the best,
Tamas